When you desperately need your torch and you pull it out to discover it’s not working anymore, nothing is more frustrating! To avoid this dilemma you have to create a routine where you maintain and store your flashlight so it’s always ready at a moment’s notice.
Consider using these easy steps before storing your beloved flashlight…
1. Always make sure all bits of dirt, dust, grime and water are wiped off of the outside case of the torch. Use a soft cloth and try not to dent or damage the material.
2. Ensure the threads on the body and the head are clean and dry and without any snags.
3. ALWAYS check the battery compartment for signs of leakage or corrosion.
4. Its best to remove and inspect the batteries after each use. Never leave the batteries inside your torch when you know you won’t be using it for a long time.
5. Check the overall condition of the flashlight. Are there any cracks or holes? Is the power switch damaged? For a quick fix, use tape!
6. The condition of the glass over the bulb is also important. Make sure to clean and polish it and check for any cracks.
7. Don’t forget to examine the bulb and LED itself. If there are any broken or discoloured wires, replace immediately.
8. Do you have a lanyard on your flashlight? If so, check it for any frays and make sure it is secure. The cord is the only thing holding your flashlight from falling.
9. Protect your torch against rust and corrosion. Lightly coat all the grooves and ridges with silicone grease when possible.
10. If you rarely use your flashlight, wrap it in soft protective cloth when you store it.
Even if you don’t often use your flashlight, make it a habit to check it and ensure that it is working properly. Maintaining your torch won’t take a lot of time and effort. You will be thankful you looked after it when you need it in an emergency and it works effectively!